InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Permaculture Planet - The Planetary Permaculture Forum.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and liking & dis-liking posts.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Click on the Register Link above to join.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Permaculture, Goofballs or Gurus?
Permoderator
Posted: Apr 25 2011, 06:59 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

As knowledge regarding Permaculture design systems encroaches ever further into the minds of the mainstream, perhaps now would be a good time for us all to take a step back and consider, how we as Permaculturalists are percieved in the eyes of the public.

Since its inception, some might attest that Permaculture has always suffered by being oftentimes labeled as some kind of weird hippy cult, the purveyors being kooky goofballs, the socks in sandals brigade with odd mullet hair-dos, that last string of villus still hanging on from the sixties.

Now I’m not suggesting for a moment that we all have a whip around and send David Holmgren off for a quick make over with Saatchi & Saatchi, but what I am suggesting is that in todays image obsessed world, it may be pertinent to contemplate such matters, if we have any hope of being taken seriously at all.

So does it really matter anyway? Surely what’s important is the “good work” being done down on the ground? Afterall, is it not our ego-driven, consumer obsessed culture with its eye forever on the superfluous and the transient, that is actually the source of so many of the worlds woes?

Obviously food in the garden is what really counts, but if we are to have a chance of persuading the fickle masses to take our initiatives toward food security in earnest, perhaps we need to drop the goofball image and smarten up our act.
Guido
Posted: Apr 27 2011, 04:35 AM

Unregistered

You are right the image of permaculture is not sometimes good many people msut think it is strange idea
Sally Anne Jakes
Posted: Apr 27 2011, 05:05 AM

Canopy Layer

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3

I think growing the food is for sure the most important part but hey, I think you're right, if we sell ourselves as goofballs who's going to take us seriously? blink.gif
Parvati Permaculture
Posted: Apr 27 2011, 04:52 PM

Canopy Layer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 15

Goofball isn't really a word we use in the UK, I thought I had a fairly good idea of what it meant but looked it up anyway.

From the urban dictionary;
Someone who looks stupid while doing something
or
anyone who is looking for trouble. People that usually roam the street at night waiting to pick a fight usually with other goof balls that share a common goal.
or
one who makes goofy jokes and tends to say omg to goofy things
or
A total idiot, someone who lacks any intelligence at all.

Merriam-Webster had this to say;
1: slang : a barbiturate sleeping pill
2: a goofy person

Hmmm, it's certainly not a word I would choose to describe a practitioner of interdisciplinary earth science.

Sally Anne Jakes
Posted: Apr 28 2011, 05:48 AM

Canopy Layer

What y'all over there in England call goofballs? blink.gif
Parvati Permaculture
Posted: May 2 2011, 03:28 PM

Canopy Layer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 15

QUOTE (Sally Anne Jakes @ Apr 28 2011, 05:48 AM)
What y'all over there in England call goofballs? blink.gif

The English are known for their bad language, so perhaps it's not a word for repeating here. wink.gif

Heres some more from the urban dictionary on goofy

An adjective for those odd, opinionated, and inevitably, yet tolerably, awkward members of social circles that straddle the line between love and hate more than about any other stereotype. Usually caught up in some form of bizarre fashion motif, be it contrasting, bright colors or some retro gig and always outspoken on everything from their latest underground music that no one else is privy to or how some radical politician is doing, these eccentric types are usually very well endowed in intellectual type intelligence, but completely lacking in common sense.
That goofy hippie libertarian is still going off about how he couldn't understand why all the hippies at the Phish show were pissed he was raving about a republican candidate
Sally Anne Jakes
Posted: May 3 2011, 04:12 AM

Canopy Layer

People in the US love to curse too, I always thought goofy was a kinda cute word, the urban dictionary changed my view on that. rolleyes.gif
Permoderator
Posted: May 3 2011, 07:32 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Thanks for the definitions Parvati, very enlightening!
« Next Oldest | People & Projects | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2639 seconds | Archive